- F That: So did you hear the one about the woman who was kicked off an airplane for wearing an “offensive” prochoice t-shirt? Or was it a miniskirt? … Wait. That’s not a joke? Well, it should be.
- Label conscious: Planned Parenthood reports that a new Gallup poll shows that Americans don’t identify anymore with labels such as prochoice or prolife. Is this a good thing? And what does it mean for the reproductive justice movement?
- Check yourself: Maybe it’s the friends I keep or maybe this is actually trending (I’m hoping the latter), but I’m noticing a lot more talk on twitter and facebook about white privilege and the lens we use as feminists, progressives, what-have-yous. Having been in the feminist/progressive trenches a long time, this is something that comes up time and again. But there’s something different about the nature of the conversations I’m having lately. Maybe we’re going through a time when there will be some real change. I don’t know. What I do know, is that no matter how much I learn about white privilege, there’s always another stone unturned (at least for me). I do my best to check myself. Here’s an interesting post with some thoughts (and tips) on that.
- It’s the economy, stupid!: Over on Fem2.0 Soraya Chemaly breaks down why reproductive rights and economic equity are related concepts for women. In other words: Ladies, birth control “wars” are a red herring!
- Mama drama: Here’s another one for the “War on Moms” files… the “debate” about how to parent spurred by Elisabeth Badinter’s book The Conflict: How Modern Motherhood Undermines the Status of Women. But as the New York Times reminds us… this debate is bullshit.
And hey… don’t forget: