Just weeks after launching this blog in May 2007, I was already talking and emailing excitedly with Erin Davies, then a college student whose VW Bug had been vandalized with anti-gay hate speech. She took the car, dubbed fag bug, on the road and came to Las Vegas for two events that I organized (with a lot of help) in July 2007. Since then, she’s had the car sponsored by Volkswagen (thanks to connections she made right here in Las Vegas), it’s undergone a transformation by being wrapped in the rainbow flag, and is the subject of a documentary about her experience touring as a spokesperson for victims of hate crimes.
Read up on the local journey here (*scroll down to see 2013 event posts):
- Introduction to The ‘fag bug’ tour
- The beginning of organizing: Project ‘Fag Bug’
- Fag Bug!
- Admit it, you want another Fag Bug update
- Another Fag Bug update
- Fag Bug news
- Local artist creates new pieces, raises money for Fag Bug
- Check out the Fag Bug fliers!
- Activism is HOT!
- Local hate crime: Hate in Sin City
- But wait, there’s more…
- Event Reminder!
- ** Event Re-Cap **
- Fag Bug sponsored by Volkswagen of America
- Erin’s post-tour re-cap
- Las Vegas CityLife: pre-event and post-event follow up
- News 3, NBC affiliate
- Channel 5, Fox affiliate
- View Newspaper
- THE FAG BUG COMES BACK TO LAS VEGAS — April 19, 2013 — DETAILS SOON!
- RSVP for the movie screening and panel on hate crimes!
- Donate here via PayPal to help pay Erin’s $500 speaking fee!
- National Day of Silence screening of Fag Bug documentary in Las Vegas!
- Las Vegas hate crimes event to feature Erin Davies and her Fag Bug
- NOH8 in Las Vegas: Everything you need to know about the upcoming event, including who is on the panel, and more!
- Thank you Imagine Communications for donating your time to design our amazing flier!
- NOH8 in Las Vegas event press release
- Volunteer opportunities, tabling, and more!
- Less than a week until NOH8 in Las Vegas! Please RSVP and share with friends!
- Have you watched the ‘fag bug’ movie yet?
- What the fag bug has meant to me, or, why this is my line in the sand
- NOH8: Thank you Las Vegas (event re-cap)
2013 Media Hits:
- UCC Magazine 4/5/13
- QVegas 3/20/13
- Vegas for the Family 3/20/13
- Las Vegas Sun (community news release) 3/19/13
- Channel 8 news (CBS affiliate)