- According to the CDC, one in four teen American girls has an STI (that’s sexually transmitted infection to those my age and older who didn’t know what that meant). Guess teen boys didn’t merit studying because their immune to STIs. But you know who’s to blame for the skyrocketing rates? The federal government’s $1.5 billion (that’s billion, with a B) “abstinence only” education. Can we close out this failed social experiment yet?
- Oklahoma Rep. Sally Kern equated homosexuality with terrorism. Seriously.
- The Women’s Empowerment Network’s SWAN Day is fast approaching: March 29 at the Freakin’ Frog. But there’s still plenty to do and ways to help. For instance, this Saturday (March 15), the group is holding a garage sale at 363 Cambray St. in Henderson. You can even donate items to the sale! And sponsors and volunteers are still needed as well. If you’re interested, send an e-mail to: SwanDayLV@gmail.com
- Speaking of art events in Sin City, why not participate in the Gay and Lesbian Center’s 5th annual Pride Art Show and Silent Auction? And they’re looking for artists, so give them a ring.
- And here’s my last art-related mention today. Repeat after me: Art, booze, shopping, repeat every Fourth Friday.
- Planning a wedding? Why not consider a Fair Trade wedding pack from Sam’s Club. (This is perhaps the only time I can plug a Walmart-related business in good conscience.) Of course, you could also get fair trade flowers from less odious retailers like Whole Foods or florists.