- Boy meets world: Turns out, TV isn’t bad for you… if you’re a white boy. Anyone else — especially girls and boys of other races — not so much.
- Boys club: Former NFL defensive back Wade Davis came out last week, saying he waited until after he retired because he wanted to be seen as “a football player, not as a gay person.” I’m not so keen on the negativity of being seen as a gay person, but I applaud Davis for coming out. There has yet to be an openly gay player who was actively playing in any of the four major sports, but my hope is that day is coming (and the small list of those who have come out after quitting their sports buoys hope).
- Boys have cooties: Oh Texas, how you vex me so. Check out this break-down of the joke of a “sex education” plan (abstinence totally rulz!)… Why don’t we just tell them that tipping cows will keep them from getting pregnant?
- You’re not the boss of me: A new ad targeting Mitt Romney (from our friends at Planned Parenthood) uses the words out of his own mouth. That would probably annoy him, if he cared about women.
- Band of brothers: Speaking of guys who like to speak for all women everywhere… a new study of 35 major media outlets shows that in stories about abortion men have 81 percent of the quotes, in stories about birth control: 75 percent. And so on. To quote The Church Lady: Well isn’t that special?
- Gender studies: Ms. Magazine recently held a roundtable with four trans feminist bloggers. Interesting reading.