Passing this along from my colleagues at Fem2.0:
PAID PR/Social Media Summer Internship Available
Want to learn media relations and online communications from the very best? Join our team for a summer internship and learn how to navigate social media, strengthen your writing style, and work with seasoned pros to provide clients with excellent service and materials.
Turner Strategies is a progressive public policy communications firm committed to good governance and responsible civil society. Our clients include non-profits and advocacy groups dedicated to making the world a better place. Celebrating our 11th year as a small business, we’ve been at the forefront of national issues like equal pay, reproductive rights, labor relations, environmental advocacy, and much more. We’re specifically looking for an intern who is passionate about social media and interested in learning about using online communications to promote progressive values.
Fem2.0 is a project of Turner Strategies. We’re a blog (http://www.fem2pt0.com), as well as a Facebook and Twitter community, dedicated to exploring issues around youth feminism and women’s rights at the local, national, and international level. Half of the intern position will involve providing direct support to the Editor, making cross-posting recommendations, writing for the blog, drafting tweets and Facebook posts, learning to use analytics and metrics, and serving as a temporary member of the Executive Board. A great opportunity for anyone interested in the official movement and representing Fem2 in the broader feminist conversation.
Half of your time will be spent on formal Turner Strategies client work, such as research, writing, and event planning. The other half will be spent as an intern for Fem2.0. This work will involve significant online outreach, blogger relations, research and tracking of women’s news, and development of social media strategy and tactics including Facebook and Twitter.
Our interns not only get significant hands on-work, but we also craft the work experience to be sure you get maximum training in the skill set you’re most interested in developing. Opportunities to attend events as a representative of the online feminist community, participate in conferences and strategy calls, write for the blog, and meet other progressive online organizers are all available. We conduct regular reviews, give consistent, regular feedback, and ensure you leave our office with not just new skills, but a better awareness of yourself as a professional, with writing samples you can use for later applications, and the beginnings of a professional network.
– Familiarity with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, etc)
– Previous experience with Adobe products (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc) preferred but not required
– Experience with blogging platforms (WordPress highly desired)
– Strong writing skills — you may be asked to write blog posts, media advisories, press releases, contribute to memos and reports, etc.
– Event planning and/or logistics experience – volunteer work, clubs, etc.
– Commitment to progressive organizations and causes
Scheduling and Logistics
– The internship will start in late May and run through mid-August, depending on your availability.
– You will be with us 4 days a week. Our interns generally take Fridays off, but we can be flexible on the timing.
– Stipend = $500 per month.
– Applications are due May 7th. Email a cover letter and resume to Abigail Collazo at Abigail@turnerstrategies.com. No phone calls. And if you were to post something interesting on our Facebook wall, well, let’s just say we’d be impressed.