News to set the water cooler a-boil:
- Did you catch the HuffPro piece on the importance of sex ed for girls? According to Dr. Helen Fisher, quoted in the article, better sex education leads to people being better adjusted sexually. So, does that mean the more you know, the better the sex?
- Meanwhile, 22 clinics that provide abortions in Virginia may have to close because of new state regulations.
- New documentary, Miss Representation, highlights the rampant sexism and misogyny in films. For instance, did you know that only 16% of films feature a female protagonist? (PS: That’s only one percentage point less than the female percentage in Congress.) –Ms.Blog
- Speaking of movies… Thelma & Louise turns 20 this year!
- Memo to the GOP: If you think welfare is a failure, it’s your own damn fault.
- GOOD has an interesting post on the decline in kid’s free play time, which it turns out is important for all sorts skill-building and socialization.
- Does wind power make fast food taste better?
- If the “Starlet or Streetwalker” segment on E!’s Fashion Police has you seeing the wrong kind of red, there’s a petition for that.
- And even though I am not an atheist, I agree with a lot of this take-down of Ricky Gervais’ uber-douchebaggery.
- For the Gen-Xers out there (like me), this essay by Susan Gregory Thomas on the failings of Boomer moms… and the healing that can come from apologies… is really touching.
- Speaking of books… censorship is on the rise in American schools. 20 books have already been banned this year!