Like a cautious groundhog, I’ve ventured outside my bed today. I’ve been at the mercy of a seriously wicked cold (and, of course, pregnancy makes nothing easier). But today I say, “Back foul beast!” And for at least a few moments I’m winning against the mucus-machine backed up by the percussive coughing and wheezing fits. Seriously un-cute.
But what’s this? Life and the world has gone on without me or my attention to an e-mail inbox (my apologies to all my peeps), twitter land or facebooking. My, my World, you’ve been busy! I mean, catastrophe in Haiti (and douchebaggery, thy name is Pat Robertson), Reid’s Negrogate, et al. Well done!
So in the spirit of sharing and all that, here’s a sampling of what I can pluck out of the old in-box that over-floweth:
- Wanna support Haitian recovery AND support local arts/comics? Of course you do! Pre-order the Omega Comics Presents anthology and support Save the Children’s efforts in Haiti. Done!
- Speaking of art, have you checked out Third Friday in downtown’s arts district? It’s tomorrow! And you can support another good cause: Artist Aid Coat & Blanket Drive @ Place Gallery, 1054 Main Street from 6-9 pm.
- And speaking of helping out those in need in our own backyard (or tunnels below the city), I just feel like putting something up about Matt O’Brien’s work with Shine A Light, the new organization that helps the homeless in LV. He spend Christmas in the tunnels and blogged about it. You should check that out.
- Maybe before you head down to Third Friday, you might want to get some free, rapid HIV testing down at The Center (8pm-1am). It’s free. It’s fast. What more could you want?
- But what about next weekend? No problem: The 2nd Annual Rock for Roe starts at 6 p.m. on Sat., Jan. 23 at Jackson’s Bar & Grill, 6020 W. Flamingo Rd. Celebrate the 37th anniversary of Roe v Wade in style with Pan De Sal, The Fabulous Moronix, belly dancing and a raffle! $5 donation to Planned Parenthood is the suggested deal. Can’t make it? A celebration is planned on the 26th at UNLV’s Student Union starting at 6 p.m.
- Did anyone write about the marijuana ballot initiative? Apparently, there’s a group called Nevadans for Sensible Marijuana Laws (?) and they submitted a petition to the Secretary of State to get on the 2012 ballot. I don’t have a dog in that fight. But if it means less potheads taking up space in jail, where we should put, you know violent offenders (like those who commit sexual assault), then I’m for it.
- And just in case I have not showered enough love on ProgressNow Nevada (much love on the twitter feed!) let’s all take a sec and sign their petition to get the RJ to remember the journalistic code of unbiased, fair coverage for a better community! I am so in!
Got a tip, question or some feedback for The Siren? Let me hear it! You can e-mail me at thesincitysiren[at]yahoo.com (replace the [at] with @), tweet me (and follow me for instant and sometimes different content than facebook or the blog!) or hit me up on facebook!