Nevada NOW, PLAN and the Human Services Network are urging folks to contact Gov. Gibbons to tell him not to go forward with planned budget cuts. The e-mail stresses contacting the governor’s office Jan. 2 and 3 but I didn’t get it until today. But I think it still works:
Proposed budget cuts from Gov. Jim Gibbons will hit families, schools and communities hard across the state. Among the proposals are a $78 million hit to Health and Human Services ($140 million counting lost federal match), a $58 million cut in Higher Education, and nearly $88 million to Nevada’s K-12 public schools. Urge that the Governor, instead of hitting essential programs in growth-stressed urban areas, the environment or rural areas, defray big-budget capital programs and tap the “rainy day” fund. We’re asking everyone to contact Gov. Gibbons Jan. 2 and 3 and let him know that taking a blunt axe to funding for human needs is no solution! Let’s flood his office.
Call Gov. Gibbons
In Las Vegas, (702) 486-2500.
In the rest of Nevada, (775) 684-5670.
Email Gov. Gibbons
To send an email to the governor, go to this Web site: http://gov.state.nv.us/ARCHIVE/Contact_Us_NORTHX.htm
Send a Letter to the Editor
In addition to contacting the Governor please consider writing a letter to the editor:
- Las Vegas Review-Journal, on the Web: http://www.reviewjournal.com/about/print/press/letterstoeditor.html Fax: (702) 383-4676;
- Las Vegas Sun, via email:, fax: (702) 383-7264;
- Nevada Appeal, on the web: http://apps.nevadaappeal.com/forms/letter/index.php, fax: (775) 887-2420;
- Reno Gazette-Journal, on the web: http://www.rgj.com/helpdesk/news/letter_to_editor.php, fax: (775) 788-6458;
- El Mundo (Las Vegas Spanish-language newspaper) via email:, fax: (702) 649-7429;
- La Voz Hispana (Northern Nevada Spanish-language newspaper), via email:, fax: (775) 722-6511,
- Ahora (Northern Nevada Spanish-language newspaper), on the web: http://www.ahoranews.com/escribenos.php, fax: (775) 323-6995