It seems like there’s a giant pile of things that are about to fall off the desk if I don’t at least give ’em a mention … so here ya go, in no particular order:
- The Gay & Lesbian Community Center of So. Nevada is hosting a Democratic presidential candidate debate tomorrow (Thurs.) at the Center, 953 E. Sahara Ave., Ste. B-31 (in the Commercial Center).
- Calling all Vagina Warriors: There’s a meeting at 3:30 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 17 at La Casita de UNLV to discuss upcoming Vagina Monologues plans among other things.
- Nevada NOW is meeting this Sunday and will be hosting special guest speaker Lydia Ball from the Sierra Club who will talk about how Gov. Gibbons plans to further rape the planet with coal-fired power plants in Northern Nevada.
- The Sin Sity Sisters are hosting a LGB (what, no love for the Ts?) speed dating thingy at 6:30 p.m. on Sunday, Nov. 18 at the Escape Lounge, 4213 W. Sahara Ave. It’s $10 to enter and apparently there are some fabulous prizes (a Tiffany’s necklace and tix to shows like Phantom of the Opera, Stomp, etc.). Call 338-1874 to reserve a spot. (Thanks to Crystal for the head’s up.)
- Erin Davies, of Fag Bug fame, is putting out the word to get some help with her car. She wants to do a new paint job for the one-year anniversary (April 18) that mimics her Fag Bug sticker/logo. It’s a pricey job at $4,000 so she’s asking folks to sign up for a free account on Glee, which is donating $3 to her expenses.
- Do you like porn? Would you like the porn industry to know how you feel about their product? Here’s your chance! The AVN, a trade journal for the adult entertainment industry, is looking for adult consumers of porn ages 18-30 for a focus group. Those chosen will be a part of a panel featured at an upcoming trade show sometime between Jan. 13-15. For more info go here.
- Check out Dr. Peter Gleick’s interview on Face to Face with Jon Ralston. He talks about a new Pacific Institute report which says installing water-efficient landscaping could reduce outdoor water demand at single-family homes by 40%. Yowza!
- FYI: The next meeting for the Human Rights Campaign Women’s Network is slated for 6:15 p.m. on Nov. 27 with a location TBD. These are the awesome women behind the Faith Forum this week and who were instrumental in helping me coordinate the local Fag Bug events in July. I’ll pass along more info as I get it.
- Don’t forget about the Women’s Research Institute of Nevada’s upcoming Defining Beauty conference on Dec. 1 at UNLV. Keynote speaker is Naomi Wolf!
- Finally, for those who are interested (and judging from the hits, you are — love you for that!) check back often to my post about charitable holiday gift ideas. I find new ones all the time and update regularly! (PS: I bought one of the Body Shop’s domestic violence totes today and it is awesome! $5 to help the environment and benefit a good cause. Doesn’t get much better than that!)