The nominations are in and it’s time to vote for your favorite organization for The Sin City Siren’s annual Charitable Giving list!
Here are the nominees (in alphabetical order):
- FACT: Family and Child Treatment of Southern Nevada has been helping people for 26 years. The non-profit helps children and families heal after sexual abuse traumas. As a survivor myself, this is a cause close to my heart.
- God’s Groceries: A non-profit charity providing food and other goods to individuals and families in need. God’s Groceries is run jointly by Northwest Community Church and First Christian Church. It is entirely volunteer run. (Full disclosure: I am a member of Northwest Community Church.)
- Planned Parenthood of Southern Nevada: I could point you to the multitude of posts I’ve written on the virtues of this organization. Or I could just tell you that one in five women in America rely on Planned Parenthood for their healthcare. If you’re not one of them, you know someone who is.
- Safe Nest: This non-profit organization has been an invaluable resource for survivors of domestic violence and their families for 24 years. From their shelter to their programs designed to help survivors and perpetrators, Safe Nest is an institution.
- The Smith Center for the Performing Arts: The Smith Center is a beautiful performing arts complex located downtown across from the World Market Center and houses a Broadway theater, a dance theater, a smaller “black box” theater, a jazz club, and the relocated (and bigger) Lied Discovery Children’s Museum. They are a jewel in the downtown renaissance and a game-changer for the cultural stature of our metropolis.