[UPDATED: MAY 23, 2012]
Do you have what it takes to be a Siren? There’s never been a better time to find out!
If you want to learn about journalism, online media and communication, with a dash of grassroots organizing and media relations, The Sin City Siren internship is for you!
The five-year-old Sin City Siren is a nationally syndicated blog created by award-winning journalist Emmily Bristol. The mission of this blog is to promote progressive dialogue in the Las Vegas community and to discuss feminist and political issues of importance to women in America. A major component to SCS is working on national campaigns to further the equality of women, LGBTQ individuals and all people through partnerships and relationships with organizations such as the National Network of Abortion Funds, Planned Parenthood, and the National Women’s Law Center. This blog is also part of the Washington DC-based feminist blogging consortium, Feminism2.0.
The intern position will get direct, one-on-one mentorship from a seasoned professional writer and public relations/social media consultant as well as opportunities to have original posts published on a nationally syndicated media platform, The Sin City Siren (which is also available on Amazon Kindle). Participation in events and campaigns may also offer opportunities for networking with leaders in local media, public relations, and politics.
The intern will be responsible for contributing to one or more of the SCS brand media portals, which may include the blog, twitter, Facebook, and more. Other work will involve community outreach and events.
SCS is guided by the principles of professional journalism and (mostly) adheres to AP style and editorial traditions. The intern will gain experience with these principles by performing various journalistic duties including research, interviews, photography, creating short videos for youtube, and other related skills for media professionals.
The goal of the internship is to offer new writers a hands-on learning opportunity and a safe space to try out different tools and skills. Successful candidates will come out of the experience with professional media clips.
- Strong writing ability (with samples), although being previously published is not required
- Extra preference given to those with experience with photography and/or videography who also demonstrate strong writing skills
- Some ability with Microsoft Office or compatible word processing program
- Understanding of blogging platforms (this blog is on WordPress, but any experience preferred) ideal, but not required
- Reliable internet connection and access to your own computer
- Experience with graphic artistry and related computer programs a plus
- Community organizing — event planning, volunteering, campaigning, canvassing, fundraising… not required but a big plus
- Progressive values — especially the belief in the equality of all people and being pro-choice
- The internship starts as soon as a qualified candidate is chosen (the sooner the better!) and will span the summer
- Expect at least one mandatory
face-to-facemeeting a week and working together on a variable schedule, depending on news trends and events (reliable transportation a big plus)
- New: You do not have to live in Las Vegas, but you do have to have reliable methods for communication, especially e-mail and phone. Skype is also an option if you live out of the Las Vegas area.
- This is an unpaid internship
Email a cover letter and resume to Emmily Bristol at thesincitysiren[at]yahoo.com. No phone calls.