There’s just so much to get to, let’s dive right in:
- Support SB397! This bill, brought forward by Sen. Maggie Carlton, would create a fund for environmental clean-up and ban the use of non-biodegradable plastic shopping bags within four years. As many long-time Siren readers know, this is an issue very close to my heart. Did you know that the average American uses 300-700 plastic bags a year? That equates to 3-7 gallons of oil a year! The bags don’t biodegrade in landfills, are only recycled at a rate of around 1 percent, are a litter problem and contribute to hurting animals. Why get plastic when you can just bring your own (this oneis my fav)? According to my friends at the Nevada Conservation League, the bill should go up for a hearing on Monday or Tuesday. You can voice your opinion on the Legislature’s opinion poll, which is important in logging how many are for or against a bill and goes down in the public record.
- Rep. Dina Titus is holding a housing workshop on Saturday, April 18 to help people facing foreclosure. As almost everyone in Las Vegas knows, this is a major issue in our community. Las Vegas lead the nation in foreclosures for 22 months straight and is still high on the list of cities worst hit. In fact, new data shows that Nevada is one of a handful of states that represent 60 percentof all foreclosures in the nation! The workshop will have information on how to avoid foreclosure, understanding loan modification and more. The workshop will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Desert Breeze Rec Center, 8275 Spring Mtn Road. For more info you can call Titus’ office at 702-387-4941.
- The AIDS Walk is this Sunday, April 19. There’s still time to register. The Siren and friends are walking with Planned Parenthood of Southern Nevada’s team!
- Speaking of Planned Parenthood of Southern Nevada, they are holding some great events for their GYT, or Get Yourself Tested, campaign. On April 21 and 24 you can get tested for STDs at their clinics for only $5! They are also holding public awareness events on those days and need volunteers. Contact Annette for details: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Gay and Lesbian Community Center is holding the 6th annual Art Show and Silent Auction on April 25.
- NOW is holding a cartoon caption contest to highlight the need for equal pay for women. (We make 78 cents for every dollar a man earns — or an increase of just 19 cents since the Equal Pay Act was passed in 1963.) Deadline is April 24.
- The Environmental Working Group is in doing an e-mailcampaign to encourage the EPA to set new drinking water standards that are tougher on perchlorate (or rocket fuel) levels. This is a major issue for us here in Nevada, as we have relatively high levels leaching into the Las Vegas Wash from underground plumes in Henderson, which flows into the Colorado River and on to California farming irrigation systems. (One scientist I talked to said he has been able to trace perchlorate found in lettuce grown in California to the perchlorate plume feeding into the Las Vegas Wash.)