- “Vulva Las Vegas!” It’s easy to get my attention with a phrase like that! It’s from the kindest request I’ve ever gotten to put something on The Siren to spread the word about an event. And I would have done it without the cool phrase because I love The Vagina Monologues! There’s a few local productions this year — and I think that’s awesome. So, check out the Las Vegas Community Production at Bugsy’s Super Club on March 7. Proceeds benefit the Rape Crisis Center and Katrina Warriors of the Gulf South. This production also features the very first time a piece has been dedicated to transgendered women. Tix for this production are $10, cash only. E-mail Miranda Smith for details: email@example.com.
- The UNLV Vagina Monologues production is Feb. 29 at Artemus Ham Hall.
- The Spanish-language Monologues production is March 8 & 9 at the West Las Vegas Library Theatre. So, there’s something for everyone. Get out there and spread the vagina-love!
- Want to kick some ass and learn skills that could save your life? Why not sign up for the Rape Aggression Defense (RAD) class sponsored by UNLV’s Jean Nidetch Women’s Center. Empower yourself. Learn self defense and other skills. There’s only a dozen spots for the March 3-5 program so don’t waste time. Call the women’s center for details: 895-4475.
- The League of Conservation Voters released their annual scorecard rating local legislators on their environmentalism. A surprise to no one, local Dems out-scored the GOP: Reid (87%), Berkley (75%), Ensign (33%), Porter (30%) and Heller-who? (15%). And if you’re reading this from outside NV, click the link and you can get scores for your folks, too.
- The Women’s Empowerment Network is looking for volunteers and sponsors to help with the SWAN Day art event scheduled for March 29 at the Freakin’ Frog. Anyone interested, contact WEN.
- Finally, I wanted to mention the UNLV Women’s Studies Department is hosting an event with Chicana Feminist author and playwrite Cherrie Moraga at 7 p.m. on March 6 at the Barrack Auditorium on campus. For info: 895-0837.