There is so much to talk about with the verdict on Sunday and more… so let’s just dive in, shall we?
- Rape Culture 101: Fucking CNN! And Fox, and… If we ever needed live footage of what rape culture looks like, just cue up that CNN segment, lamenting the tragedy that has befallen those poor, poor football-star rapists. Their lives are ruined! Forgive me if I don’t shed a tear for two RAPISTS! Shutthefuckup rape apologists! (BTW, there’s a petition about that.)
- The Rape Culture Flashcard: For the visual learners, there’s a beautifully simple graphic by the Ms. Foundation for that.
- Shameful: In case you missed it, CNN, Fox News, and MSNBC all aired the rape survivor’s name. Did any of you even go to journalism school? I only have a minor in journalism, but I know better than to release the sexual assault survivor’s name, you fuckwits.
- Taking on Rape Culture 101: Thank you LA Times (must read take-down of CNN bullshit!), Christine Pelosi on Huffington Post reminding us that rape is rape (seems obvious, but apparently it’s not); and The Nation’s Dave Zirin for exploring the roots of rape culture that flourish in jock culture and why we should be outraged about it; and my Fem2.0 colleague Soraya Chemaly puts the whole business in context with 50 similar cases to Steubenville.
- Feminist Bloggers Are All Over This Shit: See: Sisters of Resistance, who have amazing links to stuff you need to read; Mommyish on the CNN (et al) thing; Jezebel; Feministe on the Zerlina Maxwell death threats… am I missing any? Send ’em and I’ll update.
- PS, I hate you: Then when you think you can’t take it anymore, we have to wonder why apparently accomplished part-time rape cover-up artist and full-time Steubenville football coach Reno Saccoccia still has a job.
- PPS, She’s Not Out of the Woods: Two teenage girls were arrested Monday for threatening Jane Doe.
And then there’s this two-year-old rape culture satire from The Onion, which just sort of hits all the notes:
*If you are feeling triggered by all the talk about the Steubenville rape case, please take care of yourself. And if you need it, seek the help. RAINN is a good resource that is available 24/7.