- Remember the whole birth control costs rising 900% thing? Remember how all it would take is an easy vote in Congress to fix it (at no cost to taxpayers, since it would just reestablish an existing program)? Well, the electeds have done jack about it and now there are women who are really struggling to get access to affordable birth control. Help a sister out! Some women can’t afford the cost increase from $5-10 to $40-50. According to Planned Parenthood, one-third of women in Nevada can’t afford the birth control they need and one in six Nevada women and children have no health insurance. And Nevada has the highest teen pregnancy rate in the country. If you want to stop the runaway rise of STDs in teenage girls, this would be one way to help (accurate sex ed would be the best)! So contact Sen. Harry Reid (D-NV) at 702-388-5020.
- The Women’s Empowerment Network is meeting at 6:15 p.m. tomorrow (March 25) at the Freakin’ Frog to finalize plans for the first SWAN Day in Las Vegas on March 29 (also at the Freakin’ Frog). If you’re interested in volunteering, send an e-mail to: SwanDayLV@gmail.com
- The Nevada Conservation League is circulating a petition to get 13,000+ acres of the Upper Las Vegas Wash designated a National Conservation Area (Ice Age Park). Considering that the LV Wash is a direct tributary to Lake Mead (and thus, our water supply), this seems like a good idea.
- In honor of Women’s History Month, NOW has put together a little pop quiz on women in US politics. (I got a 4 out of 10.)
- Do you want to win $20,000 in video editing equipment? Perhaps it could motivate you to make the new Obama in 30 Seconds ad sponsored by MoveOn.org.